A tree falling on your car can be a very scary and dangerous event. Depending on the severity of the accident there can be a lot of damage done to your car. Here are some steps to take if a tree falls on your car:
1. If you are inside the car when the tree falls stay calm and call 911. Try to assess the situation and see if you can safely get out of the car. If the car is smoking or there are live wires touching the car do not try to get out. Wait for emergency personnel to arrive.
2. If you are not inside the car assess the situation from a safe distance. Again call 911 if there are any injuries or if the car is in danger of catching fire.
3. Once emergency personnel arrive they will assess the situation and determine the best course of action. If it is safe to do so they will remove the tree from your car.
4. Once the tree has been removed you can assess the damage to your car. If the damage is severe you will need to have your car towed to a nearby auto body shop.
5. If the damage to your car is not severe you may be able to drive it to a nearby auto body shop. However it is always best to have a professional assess the damage before driving your car.
If you find yourself in the situation where a tree has fallen on your car stay calm and follow these steps. With a little help you will be back on the road in no time.
Should I call my insurance company if a tree falls on my car?
Yes you should call your insurance company as soon as possible after a tree falls on your car.
Do I need to do anything to my car if a tree falls on it?
You should have your car inspected by a mechanic to check for any damage.
Is it my responsibility to remove the tree if it falls on my car?
It is usually the responsibility of the property owner to remove the tree.
My car was damaged from a tree that fell on it will my insurance cover the repairs?
It depends on your insurance policy but most policies will cover damage from a fallen tree.
How long will it take for my insurance company to process my claim?
The length of time will vary depending on your insurance company but it is typically a few weeks.
I have a deductible for my car insurance will I have to pay that if a tree falls on my car?
Yes you will typically have to pay your deductible when filing a claim for damage from a fallen tree.
Will my rates go up if I file a claim for a tree falling on my car?
It is possible that your rates could go up if you file a claim for damage from a fallen tree.
I wasn’t home when the tree fell on my car is there anything I can do?
If you weren’t home when the tree fell on your car you should still call your insurance company and file a claim.
A tree fell on my car and caused damage but I don’t have insurance.
What should I do?
If you don’t have insurance and a tree falls on your car you will be responsible for paying for the repairs.
Can I sue the person who owns the property if a tree from their property falls on my car?
It is possible to sue the property owner if a tree from their property falls on your car but it can be difficult to prove that they are responsible.
A tree fell on my car and totaled it what should I do?
If your car is totaled from a tree falling on it you will need to file a claim with your insurance company.
I have gap insurance will it cover my car if it’s totaled from a tree falling on it?
Gap insurance typically covers the difference between the amount you owe on your car loan and the amount your insurance company will pay if your car is totaled.
I have rental car coverage will it cover me if a tree falls on my car?
Rental car coverage will typically cover the cost of a rental car while your car is being repaired from damage from a fallen tree.
A tree fell on my car and caused severe damage how long will it take to fix?
The amount of time it will take to repair your car will depend on the extent of the damage.
Is there anything I can do to prevent a tree from falling on my car?
Unfortunately there is no guaranteed way to prevent a tree from falling on your car.