If you live in a climate with harsh winters you know that your car can be your best friend or your worst enemy. When the temperatures drop and the snow starts to fly your car can become a lifeline – but only if you’re prepared.
Here are some tips to help you survive in your car during the winter:
1. Make sure your car is in good working order. This is the most important thing you can do to prepare for winter driving. Make sure your tires are properly inflated and have enough tread. Check your wiper blades and make sure your fluids are topped off.
2. Keep an emergency kit in your car. This should include things like a blanket extra clothes snacks water a first-aid kit and a flashlight.
3. Know how to properly defrost your windshield. You should never use hot water as this can crack your windshield. Instead use a proper windshield de-icer.
4. Leave plenty of time to get where you’re going. Winter weather can be unpredictable so it’s always best to give yourself plenty of time to reach your destination.
5. Drive slowly and carefully. Take your time and don’t be afraid to take it easy. Remember it’s better to arrive late than not at all.
6. If you do get stranded stay with your car. It provides shelter and makes it easier for rescuers to find you.
By following these tips you can help ensure that your winter driving experience is a safe and enjoyable one.
What are some things you should do to your car before winter?
You should change your oil check your antifreeze check your brakes and check your tires.
What should you do if you get stranded in your car in the winter?
You should stay in your car and call for help.
What are some things you should have in your car in case you get stranded in the winter?
You should have a shovel a bag of sand or salt a flashlight extra batteries a first-aid kit a blanket and water.
What should you do if you start to skid on ice?
You should take your foot off the gas and steer in the direction you want the car to go.
What should you do if your car gets buried in snow and you can’t get it out?
You should shovel the snow away from the wheels and try to push the car out.
What should you do if your car won’t start in the cold?
You should clean the snow and ice off of the car and then try to jump the battery.
What are some things you should not do if your car gets stranded in the winter?
You should not leave the car to go find help as you will likely get lost.
You also should not try to walk in the snow as you could get frostbite.
What are some things you can do to prevent your car from getting stranded in the winter?
You can have your car serviced before winter and you can also keep it in a garage.
What should you do if you get caught in a blizzard while driving?
You should pull over and wait it out.
How can you stay warm if your car breaks down in the winter and you can’t get it started?
You can run the engine for a few minutes each hour to stay warm but make sure to crack a window to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
What are some things you can do to prevent frostbite?
You can dress in warm clothes and you can also put your hands in your armpits or under your thighs.
What are some things you can do to prevent hypothermia?
You can dress in warm clothes and you can also drink warm beverages.
What should you do if you start to feel sleepy while stranded in your car in the winter?
You should try to stay awake and you can do this by singing talking to yourself or moving around.
What should you do if you see another car stranded in the winter?
You should stop and help if you can.
What are some other things you can do to prepare for winter driving?
You can winterize your car and you can also take a winter driving safety course.